Boa Studios is both a day rental studio and an agency that establishes, promotes, and manages existing day rental video and photo studios. Our aim is to create a roster of professional, responsible, and highly usable studios in various locales throughout the GTA, each space having unique qualities that are sought after for specific production scenarios.
By combining our extensive equipment rental services for both motion and still shoots, along with creative and technical support services such as lighting designer, gaffer, production still photographer, technical consultant, the client saves time and money by having one team deal with multiple aspects of the production, while at the same time being familiar with the studio's features, layout, specs, gear, and management.
Links to studios represented:
1) Greenscreen studio info - Islington Ave., between Gardiner & Lakeshore. 1750 sf 2nd floor, double door, freight elevator, loading dock, 30' digigreen cyc, 12' white seamless. Dedicated 20A outlets. Includes daylight-balanced cyc lighting. $350 for 8 hr. day. Great lighting and grip package including two 4x4 Kinos at just $150/day.
2) Studio S info - 2300 sf. at same building as Boa and Greenscreen Studio, at Islington Ave., between Gardiner & Lakeshore. Features exposed bring, amazing natural light, a plexi shoot platform giving infinity look with optional floor reflection, and elevated for easy low angle shots. Wood ceiling and floor help absorb sound. Has central AC. Extensive on-site gear rentals
3) Studio R info - Dupont and Landsdowne. 2000 sf main floor plus 2nd floor support facilities, 30 foot white flat shoot wall. Large kitchen appropriate for shoots. Grey concrete floor. 24' ceiling. Two bathrooms, changeroom, lounge, ground level drive-in bay door, skylights with shutters, rolling scaffold, steamer & clothing rack, apple boxes and sandbags, air conditioning,
4) Studio F info - Located on Sterling Rd. in The Junction, this 3000 sf space features large multi-pane antique warehouse windows and sandblasted brick. Sound recording is usually successful with minimal interruptions. Rates start at just $400 for non-exclusive, and $900 for exclusive use. Weekends and evenings can record sound without being exclusive.
5) Studio K info - Located in Docklands area. Finest car studio in the country at 3000 sf with 40' wide x 30' deep U-shaped, ceiling return cyc and remote-controlled 10x30 Chimera $1400/ 10 hrs. Huge tungsten or strobe lighting and grip packages at $400/10 hrs.
6) Studio E info - Coxwell & Gerrard in the East End. Two 14' flat white ceiling studios that can be combined into one. Motion: $390/10 hrs 800 sf to $850/12 hrs for both studios -Discounted still rates. HUGE parking lot / shoot lot. 300A @ 120V total of 3 phase service. Good when you want a white space but don't need a cyc.
7) Studio H info Soundstage / recording studio / rehearsal space - Kipling & Bloor. Ideal for recording sound with 200A cam-lok coming soon. 14' ceilings, 2500 sf dedicated space and 500 sf of production support. Free removeable stage. Starting at $300 per 4 hrs to $600 for 12 hrs, including stage lighting. Great for music videos - play as loud as you want! Experienced event venue for small concerts, artist showcases, launch parties, etc. Optional extras include large white , green, or blue screen rentals.
8) Studio U info downtown Wallace Ave (Lansdowne & Dupont) white corner 22'x22' cyc at an animation studio with 14' ceilings, and 1350 sf dedicated shoot space within a 2000 sf ground floor facility. 15' x 14' black background. Sound absorbtion. $300/$400/$500 for 4/8//12 hrs.
Boa Studios was established in 1998, when there were just a handful of day rental photo studios in Toronto. In fact, many of today's pricing standards and workflows were established or refined by Boa Studios over these early years. The 1150 sf studio was an elegant, refined, high usability space with a 20' cyc with an unheard of "gold standard" 5' radius curve, making it very forgiving for lighting.
Soon we were getting double and triple booking requests for the same time slots, or getting requests for smaller and cheaper spaces, larger spaces, higher spaces, ones with drive-in access, etc, so one by one, we started turning others' studio spaces into higher functionality spaces that we represented, representing up to 8 spaces at one time.
Word got around in the motion community, and soon, about 3 out of 4 productions we hosted there were motion. Throughout those years, we got more and more interested in motion lighting, greenscreen, etc. Unfortunately, after 20 years, at the end of 2010, we were forced to move because of building management changes.
In 2012, Boa leased a custom-built film soundstage for 1+4 lease, but after doing great renos and spending a year setting up electrical systems, lighting grids, and getting high power motion lighting, we again fell prey to a dishonest landlord.
In 2013, we moved to a 4000 sf warehouse space in Etobicoke, which we were able to run for a bit as a rental studio space, until we got carried away with buying major film lighting and grip gear, and all that gear took over all the space. We are editing the gear down, selling off what we can live without, and hoping to get a second space, and make two new rental studios that provide high production capabilities at a very reasonable rate.
We are looking for production partners, in either a full partnership, or strategic partners that rely on each other on a frequent basis, since we have so many resources to offer. Please contact Mir Lada 647-895-5232 to discuss how we can benefit each other.